Thursday, May 19, 2011

mind

I walked down the long corridor, so long I cannot seem to make sense of what is at its end, or if there was an end to it. On either side of me were tall white walls with holes in it, hollows that housed white candles lit in glass jars. Somewhere, a chorus sang, its echoes resonating on the walls and in the innards of my ears, its angelic tune warming up my heart, like a sunbeam waiting to burst out of me. I walked along these walls, touching them with my bare hands, caressing its every surface. I raised my head up to the ceiling, and was spellbound by its intricate architecture; swirls of gold, white and bronze carved out onto its buttresses, depictions of angels with wings on their backs playing soundless tunes on their harps, doves with heart shaped spools of ribbons spilling from their beaks adorning its domed edge. Nearing the end of the corridor, on the left wall, there was a flight of stairs spiralling upwards. Its narrow walls were lit with candles too, cream coloured ones. I ascended the stairs, tilting my head slightly to one side, trying to peer to the top, taking one cautious step after another.

No comments: